I always regretted not having visited Taj Mahal while I lived in India for 21 years. And every time we went home, we never had time to add that to our already jam packed itinerary of lunches and dinners and social meetups. So, this time when we planned an impromptu week long trip to surprise our family, we figured it was a perfect opportunity to add a day trip to Agra on the pretext of our wedding anniversary! :)
- Drive (Yamuna Expwy): This is what we did. This newly built expressway is freaking awesome by Indian standards. And it is a smooth ride indeed. I would highly recommend this as there is no traffic, lanes are wide and it is every penny worth the toll. Plus, it is super quick. Since we were 6 adults, we hired a 7-seater cab and a driver and left around 8 in the morning. It took us around 3 hours one way.
- Bhopal Shatabdi: This would be the next best option from what I discovered. Take the morning shatabdi to get here and take the evening shatabdi to get back to Delhi if your agenda includes visiting Taj Mahal only.
|Main entrance to the Taj|
|Being touristy - part deux|
Visiting Fatehpur Sikri:
|Buland Darwaza - Fatehpur Sikri|
- Here is the official site. And here is the Wikipedia article.
- Visiting during full moon at night offers great views of the Taj Mahal. Some stones shine bright and look like reflecting mirrors and the milky white Taj looks even more mesmerizing.
- Plan ahead if you want to visit Agra Fort or Fatehpur Sikri