This December we were looking for a destination which wasn't a long flight away and gave us some time to relax, basically didn't offer much places to see. At the same time, we wanted to enjoy some adventurous activities as well. So, we chose Costa Rica. Here is our brief itinerary:
Where to go in Costa Rica?
Overall, I would add more activities to my itinerary. I felt I had a lot of free time than I would have liked. I would have also chosen to go to Guanacaste or Manuel Antonio instead of spending a day in San Jose. Arenal and Monteverde are fun and beautiful and green though.
Where to fly?
|Arenal Volcano - La Fortuna|
|Bar by the pool - Tabacon Hot Springs|
|Mmm.. Veggie sushi rolls!|
We had the rest of the day to ourselves and we spent some time watching a movie at our hotel and some time walking around the town. It was sushi evening for us. We found an excellent restaurant to satisfy our veggie sushi cravings, Kappa Sushi.
|That's the way a frog moves!|
After spending almost the entire day here, we headed for our hotel and after a brief nap, headed to their small downtown area for dinner. We ate at restaurant exactly opposite the Tree House. Good food again. And it was time for some rest after a long adventurous day! We were staying at the Cala Lodge in Monteverde. Nice clean wooden cabins. No heaters, but well insulated though.
Once in San Jose, we checked into our Santo Tomas hotel in the downtown area. Beautiful boutique style hotel. Reminded me of Hotel Transylvania. Headed out for dinner and got back in time to watch a movie.
|Those are all business cards from around the world|
After we got back, it was time to find some Indian food. We researched and headed to Taj which was close to the airport area. Food was decent enough and quiet authentic. After stuffing ourselves and taking a couple of samosas to go for our long long flight, we headed back to the hotel. We took a short nap and packed our bags for the long flight home.
How to get around?
What could have we done better?
- Book early: We made our booking about 5 weeks in advance and it seems we were late as most of the hotels were not available. Given it was a peak season, book early.
- Spend lesser time: I felt we could have added more activities or visited more regions in the given amount of time.
- Done tours ourselves: Should have definitely not done the San Jose day tour. Rafting and Ziplining were freaking awesome and are a must do. Even horse riding and hiking. Should have added hiking to the Arenal volcano. But the observatory was closed and we ditched it.
- Nicaragua: A short day trip from Arenal and Monteverde is totally do-able.
- Tour Company: made our bookings via Anywhere Costa Rica which was super convenient and if you are looking for travel agents to plan your itinerary, I would recommend them.
- Laundry: You would need to dry your shoes if you plan on doing rafting one day and hiking the next day. There are many laundry services in Arenal and they helped us with drying our shoes, since I had carried only one pair of closed-toe sport shoes. So, you might want to carry an extra pair.